Varnish + Tomcat vs Apache + mod_cache + mod_jk +Tomcat

Adrian Ber beradrian at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 11:54:12 CEST 2013

Does anyone have some comparison data in terms of performance for using
in front of Tomcat either Varnish or Apache with mod_jk. I know that AJ
connector suppose to be faster than HTTP, but I was thinking that in
combination Varnish which is lighter and highly optimized could perform
better. There is also the discussion between static resources (which I
think will perform faster with Varnish than Apache, even with mod_cache) and dynamic pages.
I asked this question on ServerFault too http://serverfault.com/questions/545793/varnish-tomcat-vs-apache-mod-jk-tomcat
Which configuration would be advisable Varnish + Tomcat or Apache + mod_cache + mod_jk +Tomcat?

Thanks,
Adrian Ber.