Varnish + Tomcat vs Apache + mod_cache + mod_jk +Tomcat

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at zenika.com
Wed Oct 16 12:53:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have no data to show, but since I use all three tools, I can give
you my two cents :)

Varnish + Tomcat is definitely the simplest architecture, because it
does not involve AJP. I would also consider changing the default
(blocking) http connector on the Tomcat side and measuring performance
improvements (non blocking, native...). I'm also a big fan of the VCL
which feels a lot more natural than httpd's configuration to me.

As I trust Varnish not to be the bottleneck, I am not keen on adding a
new indirection (httpd) for a binary protocol that is not relevant to
me anymore. I believe (still no data) having a 10Gb/s connection
between Varnish and Tomcat (I assume they're not sitting too far from
each other) outperforms the compactness of AJP (serialization
involved).

Best Regards,
Dridi