Upgrade from Varnish 3 to 4

Jensen, Kristian krjensen at ebay.com
Wed Aug 13 17:40:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

We are about to upgrade from 3 to 4, and have discussed whether we should delete .bin file or not.

Some believe that we should delete it so that varnish can "start from a fresh."

I personally think it is a bad solution, since varnish then write the file from the beginning again, and auto expand it every time there is a need for more space. This will cause fragmentation on and unnecessary operations on the SSD disk.

Is there any reason to delete the file during an upgrade?

Kristian Jensen