Varnish package build - tests fail

James Pearson james at ifixit.com
Tue Aug 26 01:31:15 CEST 2014

Excerpts from Viktor Villafuerte's message of 2014-08-21 23:46:18 -0700:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build Varnish 4.0.1 on our build servers using Koji. The
> build fails on one of the tests
>
> varnish-4.0.1/bin/varnishtest/tests/c00017.vtc
>
> I think I could simply disable the test during the build but I don't
> really want to have to do that :)
>

> I found a post (varnish ticket trac) which says
>
> Don't worry of a single or two tests fail, some of the tests are a bit
> too timing sensitive (Please tell us which so we can fix it) but if a
> lot of them fails, and in particular if the b00000.vtc test fails,
> something is horribly wrong, and you will get nowhere without figuring
> out what.
>

> Is this so? Or do I need to make sure all the test do finish
> successfully?
>
> Anybody has any 'quick' (and good) tips on how to go about this?

An approach we've used for (non-Varnish) timing-sensitive tests is to rerun
them a few times.  At its most basic, that's something like this:

    #!/bin/sh
	 run_tests || run_tests || run_tests

Note that this will rerun *all* the tests, not just the failing one(s).

HTH.
 - P