new Varnish4 install -- seeing MISSes instead of HITs ? vcl & log included

grantksupport at operamail.com grantksupport at operamail.com
Fri Dec 12 00:26:14 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014, at 03:12 PM, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
> https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.0/users-guide/vcl-grace.html#grace-mode
>
> Looking again at your logs after reading this, it makes sense that
> you'd always miss.

hm.  I need to read that a couple of more times; for now I'll take your word for it

> What happens if you remove vcl_hit from your VCL
> and entirely leave it to the built-in vcl_hit?

it HITs.

as does the vlc_hit from

 https://github.com/mattiasgeniar/varnish-4.0-configuration-templates/blob/master/default.vcl

which appears to use the recommendations from your reference, above

good starting point -- at least, far better than my own attempt.

now I've an idea what the problem is, and a working basis; re-reading will fix the rest.

thanks!