Processing Power

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan at architechs.eu
Tue Jan 28 11:47:05 CET 2014

Hi,

We are using lighttpd (not nginx, granted, but the principle is the same) for handling SSL in front of some of our Varnish instances - it works fine from a performance perspective; it's just important to remember to strip and re-add any headers necessary for the SSL handling, so that you don't end up with twice the objects in Varnish. We could have used stunnel or haproxy here, though - this was done for familiarity reasons only.

Otherwise we have found no reason for "hiding" Varnish behind other services, as Varnish's caching abilities far surpass any of the other solutions. Performance-wise there might not be so much in it vs a correctly configured nginx instance, but nginx's cache handling is hopeless compared to Varnish.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Jan