Processing Power

Jason Ledford jledford at biltmore.com
Tue Jan 28 13:28:43 CET 2014

>From a load balanced perspective, we have an f5 in front, and varnish is running on the same server as our web server, apache. So the web server is setup with varnish on the front end and apache right behind it, same machine. We then duplicated that web to give us our load balanced setup. Load testing blew out the water when we put varnish in front of it compared to just apache. From a scale standpoint you could look at adding components along the way and seeing where it breaks down instead of scaling out immediately.

~Jason Ledford
www.biltmore.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon [simon.lennon at oncommerce.co.uk]
To: varnish-misc at varnish-cache.org [varnish-misc at varnish-cache.org]
Subject: Re: Processing Power

Thanks for the feedback on the processing power that was really helpful, has anyone combined varnish with nginx and used it as a load balancer / caching box. Does the performance requirements change much with nginx sitting in front of varnish?

thanks,
--

Simon Lennon
Technical Director

OnCommerce Ltd.
+44 (0) 1202 970 940

[cid:part1.01060307.05070500 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part3.06060503.01080309 at oncommerce.co.uk]
www.oncommerce.co.uk<http://www.oncommerce.co.uk/>
[cid:part4.05060806.00020202 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://twitter.com/OnCommerceLtd>[cid:part5.00080603.02040704 at oncommerce.co.uk]<http://www.facebook.com/OnCommerceLtd>[cid:part6.03070606.06090804 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://plus.google.com/110931495978569752116>

[cid:part7.01000102.06080906 at oncommerce.co.uk]
www.onbuy.co.uk<http://www.onbuy.co.uk/>
[cid:part4.05060806.00020202 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://twitter.com/OnBuy_UK>[cid:part5.00080603.02040704 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://www.facebook.com/OnBuy.co.uk>[cid:part6.03070606.06090804 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://plus.google.com/105033918753905864428>

[cid:part11.05000105.03060202 at oncommerce.co.uk]
www.onrecycle.co.uk<http://www.onrecycle.co.uk/>
[cid:part4.05060806.00020202 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://twitter.com/onrecycleuk>[cid:part5.00080603.02040704 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://www.facebook.com/OnRecycle>[cid:part6.03070606.06090804 at oncommerce.co.uk]<https://plus.google.com/112145148704994295234>

[cid:part16.04060703.01080500 at oncommerce.co.uk]

OnBuy and OnRecycle are trading names of OnCommerce Ltd which is a registered company in England & Wales, Company Number: 08358927. Our trading address is: C/O Centerprise International, Hampshire International Business Park, Lime Tree Way, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 8GQ. OnCommerce is a registered trademark no. 2540468.

OnCommerce Ltd is a Centeprise International Group Company.

[cid:part17.05010105.06080100 at oncommerce.co.uk]

This electronic message contains information from OnCommerce Ltd, which may be legally privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone (to the number above) or e-mail immediately. Any views, opinions or advice expressed in this electronic message are not necessarily the views, opinions or advice of OnCommerce Ltd. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that any attachments are virus free and OnCommerce Ltd. bear no responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from the use thereof.

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part18.01040603.01030201 at oncommerce.co.uk]

[cid:part24.00010903.01030109 at oncommerce.co.uk]
Simon Lennon, OnCommerce Ltd.<mailto:simon.lennon at oncommerce.co.uk>
27 January 2014 11:45
Hi guys, I was wondering what kind of processing power varnish needs. I am setting up a dedicated environment with a custom built VCL which includes some regexp and the load balancing functionality.

I was going to setup a dual core server with 96GB of ram, is this enough for a HIGH traffic site, says 10,000 hits a second with very high cache utilization?

I will also be using the ban list to achieve a very high level of caching, with a daily restart to flush the archive, but I would expect several hundred regex patterns per day in the ban list.

I know varnish is optimized for performance so I wasn't sure how much processing power it would need,

thanks,