varnish-2.1.4 (SVN 5447M) w/ backend Connection: close

James A. Robinson jim.robinson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:17:23 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM, James A. Robinson <jim.robinson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> With a packet capture I see the following sequence:
>
> 1. varnish sends a GET request for one URL
>
> 2. backend responds with 200 OK, and headers, including
> a Connection:close header
>
> 3. varnish immediately sends a new GET request,
> for a different URL
>
> 4. backend finishes sending the body of the first URL
>
> 5. the connection is closed.
>
> If I understand HTTP/1.1 correctly, varnish should be reading the
> body from the 1st request to the end, and closing the socket, not
> sending a new request on the same socket.

I have another case where I can see this in the packet capture:

1. varnish sends a GET request

2. backend responds with 200 OK, and headers, including
a Connection: close header

3. backend sends the body

4. connection closes

and that all sounds great, but varnishlog tells me it did
the same thing as my other case -- it marked the body as
zero length and returned an empty page to the client.

In both cases I see that the backend is not provided a
Content-Length header.

Jim