Want to have cache server for small ISP

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 18:50:36 CET 2014

Can we clarify exactly why? My understanding is that varnish is a web
accelerator for a *website*, and in practice it will only cache for a
single domain. It can't be setup to cache for all domains.

I can imagine you can get around this by using a varnish + squid pair, but
the performance would be unacceptable for an ISP. Not to mention that fact
that making varnish highly available and distributed is a lot of work on
its own.

Can anyone on this list recommend a better solution to the original
question?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Per Buer <perbu at varnish-software.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Darshak Modi <darshak.modi at elitecore.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to deploy a cache server for small ISP.
>> From documents , I understand Varnish can be used for reverse-proxy only.
>>
>> I have to cache all world HTTP traffic, video traffic, updates for end
>> client who are using ISP internet.
>> Cache server to be deployed at ISP router end.  I gone through Squid and
>> I think it can work.
>>
>> But I can not understand if Varnish can be used for the same purpose.?
>>

> No.
>
> Varnish isn't built for this.
>
> --
>  <http://www.varnish-software.com/> *Per Buer*
> CTO | Varnish Software
> Phone: +47 958 39 117 | Skype: per.buer
> We Make Websites Fly!
>
> Winner of the Red Herring Top 100 Global Award 2013

Stephen Wood
www.heystephenwood.com