Want to have cache server for small ISP

Bjørn Ruberg bjorn at ruberg.no
Wed Mar 19 19:36:16 CET 2014

On 03/19/2014 06:50 PM, Stephen Wood wrote:
> Can we clarify exactly why? My understanding is that varnish is a web
> accelerator for a /website/, and in practice it will only cache for a
> single domain. It can't be setup to cache for all domains.

Short version: Varnish needs you to *predefine*, as backends, every
domain you want to cache for.

> I can imagine you can get around this by using a varnish + squid pair,
> but the performance would be unacceptable for an ISP. Not to mention
> that fact that making varnish highly available and distributed is a
> lot of work on its own.

Varnish + squid is doable, then the squid installation would be Varnish'
one and only backend, which in turn resolves and caches ad hoc. I have
no idea how this would perform, but it would give you the combined
flexibility of both products.

--
Bjørn