Want to have cache server for small ISP

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Mar 19 21:55:51 CET 2014

To supplement Bjørns answer a bit.

Forward caching was never the intended use for Varnish so Varnish as a
forward proxy is completely untested. Without knowing too much about the
Squid codebase I expect quite a bit of it are workarounds for various
bugs/quirks that IE6, Flash 9 and other weird clients have. In additions
I'm certain there are optimisations for use cases we simply don't care
about.

A simple thing such as cookies, which are more or less omnipresent, will
completely disable Varnish, which is probably not something you want in a
forward proxy.

On paper, with a non-caching proxy to serve as a backend, it might work.
But then again, there are pieces of software out there that are built
specifically for this that will certainly provide a better solution. I
think Squid is still seeing active development and it has a lot of relevant
features (support for anti-malware plugins, native SSL support...). I think
ATS is also meant to work as a forward proxy, but I'm not 100% sure.

Per.