Random "Data not received" with Varnish behind ELB

Greg Taylor greg at pathwright.com
Mon Oct 20 23:48:18 CEST 2014

We're terminating HTTPS on the ELB level, so Varnish doesn't really know or
care what protocol is being used.

On the ELB level, we have disabled SSLv3, but this particular quirk (The
"No data received" error) occurs with and without SSLv3 in ELB's
configuration.

My initial theory was that something was timing out somewhere in the stack
(ELB->Varnish->App server), but I haven't been able to back that up with
anything concrete. I've upped the timeouts across the board to test the
theory with no improvement in behavior.

--
Greg Taylor,
Pathwright Co-founder