Varnishstat problems with 3.0.5 in Debian Squeeze

Kristian Grønfeldt Sørensen ksorensen at nordija.com
Thu Sep 4 07:20:13 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-03 at 21:37 -0400, John Mah wrote:
> On 2014-09-03, 6:53 AM, Kristian Grønfeldt Sørensen wrote:
> > I've upgraded one of our Debian Squeeze Varnish servers from 3.0.2 to
> > 3.0.5 today, and seem to have run in to the same problem as described
> > here: https://www.varnish-cache.org/forum/topic/1317 .
> >
> > It looks to me like varnishd and varnishstat does not agree on the
> > format of the VSL, or at least which counters to find where.
>
> Kristian:
>
> I have run into this issue in the past and if I remember correctly you
> may have to just pull in proper 'libvarnishapi1' package from the
> official varnish repo.

Thanks a lot. That was the indeed case. I still had libvarnishapi1 3.0.2
installed. apt-get install libvarnishapi1 fixed the issue.

I actually suspected something like that, so I ran "apt-get upgrade" as
part of the upgrade yesterday (after only doing an "apt-get install
varnish"), but apparently something prevented libvarnishapi1 from being
upgraded that way. No extra packages pulled in by running apt-get
install libvarnishapi1" this morning though, so I'm not sure why it
wasn't upgraded as part of the "apt-get upgrade".

Wouldn't this indicate a bug in the Debian packaging ? Shouldn't the
varnish 3.0.5 package depend on the libvarnishapi package in version
3.0.5, to prevent stuff like this from happening?

BR

Kristian