can't log in or create new users on mediawiki

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 21:43:54 CEST 2015

I based my vanrish config on these recommendations from mediawiki:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Varnish_caching

And I do have that setting in my VLC that bypasses the cache for any
cookies it finds:

     # Pass requests from logged-in users directly.
     if (req.http.Authorization || req.http.Cookie)
           {return(pass);}      /* Not cacheable by default */

you could also check req.http.Cookie's content to check if the session
cookie is there, and not unset them in this case. In other cases when user
is not logged in, it's probably safe to unset them and show the static
version of the page from cache, instead of the logged in version.

That's a good suggestion. I'll look into how to do that!

In the meantime, I'll enclose my current VCL as an attachment, in case
there are any other suggestions based on what I have in the config.

Thanks
Tim