can't log in or create new users on mediawiki

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Mon Aug 17 22:06:36 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015, at 14:43, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> I based my vanrish config on these recommendations from mediawiki:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Varnish_caching
>
> And I do have that setting in my VLC that bypasses the cache for any
> cookies it finds:
>
>      # Pass requests from logged-in users directly.
>      if (req.http.Authorization || req.http.Cookie)
>            {return(pass);}      /* Not cacheable by default */

I've modified their config slightly because I ran into a few issues, but
I can't recall exactly what they were. This has worked pretty well for
me -- anonymous users get data served from cache, logged-in users get
images cached but page content is not.

I really only use my wiki once a year, but it gets heavy usage (few
hundred people making edits for 3 days straight) and has had good hit
rates and no complaints.