Varnish and Docker

Lewis, Eric eric.lewis at nytimes.com
Thu Dec 10 13:34:13 CET 2015

Hi Brice,

The way I'm reading this dockerfile, you're using the official debian 8
> (already compiled) varnish package?

If you're looking at the Dockerfile from my last message, that was an
example to show that it is possible to use a system package, but
problematic because some Varnish Modules cannot be installed based on that
package. The Dockerfile in our repo
<https://github.com/newsdev/docker-varnish/blob/master/Dockerfile> installs
from source. Sorry if that was unclear!

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but it's generally a good approach to build from
> source -- and using a build system to allow quick distribution of alternate
> versions (such as running a specific commit/release). So I think building
> from source does make sense.

Totally agree :)

Also helpful to offer more base images, and recommend alpine:latest as a
> lightweight alternative to debian:jessie

Most official Dockerfiles are based on Debian, so we bend with this
community practice. To move towards an official image repository, we should
have one image.

Thanks,

Eric Lewis
Web Developer, Interactive News