"hash" director and app cookie

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Wed Jun 24 10:32:27 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Cédric Jeanneret <varnish at tengu.ch> wrote:
> How may I do that? using a simple "curl" doesn't show any
> load-balancing, as I'm hitting always the same instance. I'm pretty sure
> this is due to client.identity — how may I fake it?

Hi,

Have a look at varnishtest for faking it, you can make your backends
reply with a hardcoded header and check that on the client side.

> I didn't find any documentation regarding this object, and reading
> source-code in order to know a bit more isn't really the easiest way to
> understand what's done.

See the documentation at the bottom:
https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.0/reference/vmod_directors.generated.html#backend-hash-backend-string-list

The hash director doesn't rely on client.identity anymore, but on
whatever you want to use to route the traffic.

Cheers,
Dridi