Graphing number of 503s

Gabriel Filion gabster at lelutin.ca
Fri Oct 16 00:37:51 CEST 2015

On 15/10/15 03:00 PM, Per Buer wrote:
>     I'd like to create a graph of how much 503 pages were served by varnish.
>     Is there an easy way to count how much such error pages are sent to
>     clients?
>

> Sure. Throw Google Analytics at it and you'll have tons of graphs. Just
> throw the GA stuff into the guru meditation page (Artur used this for
> all sort of stuff).

ah hmm actually this is not possible in this case since the varnish
servers are used in front of shared hosting for a couple of select sites
and we don't really control the contents of the sites.

Guillaume's suggestion of using varnishncsa is a possibility that I can
explore.

While brainstorming with co-workers, we've had another idea too: since
we're serving error pages as static html on one special backend we could
inject a header in the request made to that server to identify the
backend used in the original client request and thus count errors per
backend.

--
Gabriel Filion