Varnish storage: file

Viktor Villafuerte viktor.villafuerte at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 21 02:44:16 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I'm using Varnish 4.0.3 with VARNISH_STORGE=file in sysconfig. I've been
monitoring this and have found couple of things that puzzle me a bit.

In sysconfig the definition is like this

# # Cache file location
VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE=/srv/hls_cache/hls_cache.bin
#
# # Cache file size: in bytes, optionally using k / M / G / T suffix,
# # or in percentage of available disk space using the % suffix.
VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=1160G
#
# # Backend storage specification
VARNISH_STORAGE="file,${VARNISH_STORAGE_FILE},${VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE}"
#
DAEMON_OPTS="... \
             -s ${VARNISH_STORAGE}"

This morning I had a look and there were 21G of data cached. I tried to
restart Varnish but it failed due to in sufficient disk space. If I
lower the VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE enough (to cover those 21G) then Varnish
starts without problems. This brings up two qustions

1. How to define the size of the destination file to be able to restart
without problems?

2. Varnish docs claim that its cache is not persistent. But this seems
to be very persistent to me?

Could anybody shed some light on this?

thanks

Regards