Varnish Log Doubts

Jason Price japrice at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 03:05:52 CET 2016

1. Any messages generated with std.syslog(<reasonable_integer>, "...") will
go to /var/log/messages.  There are a few in default.vcl IIRC.
2. You have to look for them in varnishadm panic.show.  It leaves a fair
bit of data in /var/log/messages too.
3.  It won't dump core. The watchdog will restart it.  See also #2
4.  Guru meditations: Look at the default.vcl for the vcl_error function.
Anything funneled through there can trigger a guru meditation.  Clone the
function to your vcl, end it with a 'return(deliver)', and add your logging
there.  Varnish originated 503's come through here too.

-Jason