varnish overhead when only passing to backend without caching

Guillaume Quintard guillaume at varnish-software.com
Sat Oct 29 11:14:00 CEST 2016

Why not measure it?

The overhead will mainly be the time to go trough two network links instead
of one, but since Varnish pools connections, you don't even have that extra
connection cost.

As to the delay introduced by Varnish, you can have a look at this:
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/commit/d7b9296012f6a5d41c48198ab2ea991a173c3b2c
(this is talking about the time between opening and closing the session).

I think it's telling.