Varnish leaves old configs behind.

Gerhard Schmidt schmidt at ze.tum.de
Mon Sep 5 14:35:54 CEST 2016

Am 05.09.2016 um 14:21 schrieb Thomas Lecomte:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Gerhard Schmidt <schmidt at ze.tum.de> wrote:
>> That was in the part you didn't quote. Every time I install a new config
>> the old one is discarded and disappears from vcl.list but not from the
>> directory.
>
> Oh sorry - I don't know how I missed that.
>
> I just tested on my varnish instance and vcl.discard effectively
> removes the directory  /var/lib/varnish/$instance/$confname. The user
> as which varnishadm is run doesn't seem to be important (root or my
> own user).
>
> The compiled VCL files are owned by the varnish user (as which
> varnishd runs). Might it not be a permissions problem for you?

OK i did some more digging. I seams that die directories left behind are
from configs that failed to compile. I don't get where the vcg.so comes
from if the compile failed. But since i fixed a bug in my system this
Morning there are no new directories since than but there are at least
50 config changes since than.

If this is intentional it might be a good idea to put the text of the
fail config and the error message there to help debugging.

Regards
   Estartu