Odd crash

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Mon Feb 20 11:09:57 CET 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Andrei <lagged at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I woke up to numerous site timeouts, and when I went to check the backend
> list, this is what was returned:
>
> root at aviator [~]# varnishadm backend.list
> Unknown request in manager process (child not running).
> Type 'help' for more info.
> Command failed with error code 101
> root at aviator [~]#

This is because the child process is not running as indicated. This
can be the case when you start varnish in debug mode, run something
like `varnishadm stop` or hit a bug where the child doesn't restart
after a panic.

> I believe it was likely related to this panic:
> https://zerobin.net/?448b15259bc80551#Geo0NImD4HLpGWVZWk9raD7Qhl11VkNZEmh21J2S9mE=

It could be the panic after which the manager process failed to spawn
a new child.

> Varnish has since been upgraded to 4.1.5. Should I still be worried?

Which version are you currently running?

Dridi