Varnish 4.1.4 - MAIN.n_gunzip counter increasing for every MAIN.backend_req

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Jan 19 09:41:01 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Vlad Rusu <vlad.rusu at lola.tech> wrote:
> Thanks a lot Dridi!

Hello,

We discussed this with the core team during last bug wash, and we'll
try to fix that the best we can.

> That makes sense :)
>
> To answer your 2nd question, I would have liked to see this documented as
> follows:
>
> http://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/reference/varnish-counters.html - in
> the n_gunzip section (i.e. includes the.. )

A new counter for test gunzip will be introduced in the next major release.

> https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/reference/vsl.html - in the Gzip tag
> section

I will see to that separately, I think it will simply refer to the
counter's documentation once it lands. So that the canonical
description of test gunzip is found in one place.

> https://varnish-cache.org/docs/4.1/phk/gzip.html - and here..

I'm not touching that, it's a bit like a piece of Varnish history:
what phk had to say (in this case about gzip) when he wrote that. I
don't think we maintain the "random outbursts" besides typos.

> Thanks for your hard work on this cool product guys!

Thanks for your help!

Dridi