Varnish on stand-alone server

Stalker, Tim Tim.Stalker at ucdenver.edu
Fri Jan 20 17:38:57 CET 2017

I can't provide much detail because I don't get any reports or data from varnishlog. No errors are reported. When I run "varnishadm backend.list", the backend is reported as healthy. Plus, there's no issues with varnish communicating with the backend when I visit the backend host from within the varnish virtual machine. Everything works as intended when I run a web client (curl or lynx) from the varnish vm terminal. The problem is varnish doesn't communicate with the backend when I visit the backend host from outside the vm on my host computer's web browser.

The setup is is this - two virtual machines running in vagrant and virtualbox

192.168.33.26 (apache box with hostname clas-test.myhost.pvt listening on port 84)

192.168.33.27 (clas-varnish.myhost.pvt)

>From default.vcl:

vcl 4.0;
import std;
import directors;

include "backends.vcl";

sub vcl_init {

    new local_test = directors.round_robin();
    local_test.add_backend(express_test);
}
sub vcl_recv {

  if (server.hostname == "clas-test.hostname.pvt") {
    set req.backend_hint = local_test.backend();
sub vcl_deliver {
  if (obj.hits > 0) {
    set resp.http.X-Cache = "HIT";
    std.log("hitmiss:HIT");
  } else {
    set resp.http.X-Cache = "MISS";
    std.log("hitmiss:MISS");

>From backends.vcl:

backend express_test {
  .host = "192.168.33.26"; #ip of my host in its own virtual machine
  .port = "84"; #port I have set in the virtual host on my host's virtual machine
}

In /etc/varnish/varnish.params I have the VARNISH_LISTEN_PORT set to port 80 and VARNISH_LISTEN_ADDRESS commented out. Note, that when I set the address to my backend ip, varnish won't start and I get this error:

bind(): Cannot assign requested address
[19743]: Error: Failed to open (any) accept sockets.

And yet when I run "varnishadm backend.list" with the listen address commented out, the backend is reported as healthy.

Thanks again, all