reg: not getting ReqAcct tag in varnishlog

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Wed Mar 13 17:19:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:56 PM Hardik <hetardik.p at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dridi,
>
> We should able to recreate with load and mobile requests. I have not tried with 6.0.3.

I guess there's no need for that. Your varnishlog setup is stretched
too thin to cope with your load.

I was completely oblivious to the problems slink spotted right away...

> @Nils,
> We are seeing issue with both varnishlog and varnishlog with -g option. But here problem is, shared memory it self does not have ReqAcct tag I think ( please correct me if I am wrong). Because all the clients which are reading shm all are getting same thing..means no ReqAcct. But yes I am agree that impact with "varnishlog -g session" is more.
>
> So If shared memory it self has no ReqAcct tag then all clients will also not get right ? How to fix this problem ? Please help with some details which I can understand because we are loosing bills for which we are serving traffic...!

You could try avoiding grouping, use varnishncsa with a custom format,
overall store and process less data in memory.

> Normal varnish command we use to grep running logs
> varnishlog -g request -q "ReqURL ~ '/abc/xyz'"
>
> command uses to read shared memory directly for billing
> varnishlog -g session
> --> we are already planing to use "varnishlog -g xvid" for billing api. Because I understood is, -g session option is taking more time to arrange in particular order and delivery final output. Please help with some more detail.. It will really helpful.

There are few practical uses of -g session for live traffic. This
works better on offline logs for example when examining traffic
post-mortem.

If only ReqAcct is important, and the rest of the information you need
is available on the request side, you should definitely stop using the
-g option, and use the -c option to further limit internal processing.

If you need information from the backend transactions too, try to
figure how you could make this information available on the client
side.

Dridi