Reg: exact field for response time

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Mon Mar 18 11:22:09 UTC 2019

On 3/18/19 12:09, Hardik wrote:

> *varnish 6.1*
> Timestamp Resp: 1501601912.806787 0.048125 *0.000037*
>
> https://feryn.eu/blog/varnishlog-measure-varnish-cache-performance/#The_Timestamp_tag
>

> -> Are both fields give same values, means same meaning or both are
> different? In varnish 3 I was reading last field. And as per explanation
> its time from delivery to end of request ( and not total time from start of
> request till end, plz correct if wrong). Based on this explanation I am
> reading resp time only and no total time in resp tag. Do I have to read
> 0.048125 to be compatible with varnish 3 or I am doing correct ?

man vsl(7) is your friend here:

              The format is:

                 %s: %f %f %f
                 |   |  |  |
                 |   |  |  +- Time since last timestamp
                 |   |  +---- Time since start of work unit
                 |   +------- Absolute time of event
                 +----------- Event label

So the second number is the time since request processing began, and the
third number is the time since the previous timestamp.

Timestamp:Resp usually comes after Timestamp:Process:

       Process
              Processing finished, ready to deliver the client response.

       Resp   Delivery of response to the client finished.

So in your example, it's 48.125ms since the start of request processing,
and 37µs since the previous timestamp, usually meaning 37µs for response
delivery.

The second field of Timestamp:Resp (48ms here) is a good measure of the
total time to process the request.

HTH,
Geoff
--
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917