reg: not getting ReqAcct tag in varnishlog

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Wed Mar 20 15:32:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:40 AM Hardik <hetardik.p at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dridi,
>
> Do you need all timestamps or a specific metric?
> Regarding timestamp, want to read two tags,
> Timestamp      Start: 1516269224.184112 0.000000 0.000000
> Timestamp      Resp: 1516269224.184920 0.000808 0.000087
>
> Do you need the BereqAcct records for all transactions? Including cache hits?
> Sorry it is my mistake. I am not reading any of the beck-end records. So can ignore BereqAcct.
> I need fields from Req records only.

Ok, in this case you can probably get away with just varnishncsa to
collect all you need.

No grouping (the default -g vxid), client mode (-c) only, with a
custom -F format to grab only what you need.

This should help reduce the churn to the point where you lose data.

If you struggle with this, I can help you later with that, but start
by reading the following manuals:

- varnishncsa
- vsl
- vsl-query

For example, the format for the timestamps you wish to collect would
look like this:

> %{VSL:Timestamp:Start[1]}x %{VSL:Timestamp:Resp[2]}x %{VSL:Timestamp:Resp[3]}x

Rinse and repeat for all the things you need to capture for the logs,
put them in the order you prefer and off you go. No need to write your
own utility.

> What does FD mean here? File descriptor? From ReqStart?
> Yes, Its file descriptor. And yes reading from ReqStart till ReqAcct. Using switch case to read needed records.

If you already work with VXIDs, the FD becomes redundant.

Dridi