Migration from 4.1 vcl

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Wed Oct 9 16:12:33 UTC 2019

On 10/9/19 18:03, Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> What I meant was if there's any vmod interface/api change between 4.1 and 6.0
> that could break third party vmod code, if that makes any sense.

Yes. With just about every new version of Varnish, there's always
something. It may be not be much for each version (for Varnish 6.3.0,
for example, you need to replace WS_Reserve() with WS_ReserveSize(), or
else you get deprecation warnings), but enough so that some kind of fix
is often necessary.

If you're jumping from 4.1 to 6.0, chances are that quite a few of
things accumulated over time.

The What's New/Upgrading docs for the various versions often have a
section about changes for developers of VMODs and other third-party
software, so you might want to look through those. The log in
changes.rst in the git repo also goes into such changes, in more
technical detail.

Good luck,
Geoff
--
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917