HTTP error code in case of workspace overflow

findmyname at tutanota.com findmyname at tutanota.com
Wed Aug 24 09:24:47 UTC 2022

Hello all,

I was looking on this <https://www.varnish-software.com/developers/tutorials/troubleshooting-varnish/#not-enough-workspace-memory> Varnish troubleshooting guide, section "Not enough workspace memory".
There is info that Varnish should return 503 HTTP code when there is overflow:

When a task consumes more memory than allowed in one of the specific workspace contexts, the transaction is aborted, and an HTTP 503 response is returned. When a workspace_session overflow occurs, the connection will be closed.

Additionally I noticed this PR <https://varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-commit/2015-September/014327.html> where is mentioned that Varnish should return 500 in case of overflow which kinda make sense ...

I tracked this change to current master and there is still 500 code:
- https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/blob/master/bin/varnishd/http/cache_http1_deliver.c#L130https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/blob/master/bin/varnishd/http1/cache_http1_deliver.c#L77

The question obviously is if the DOC talks about something different or the code should be adjusted.

Thx
BR