Improved github issue templates

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Tue Apr 18 16:11:05 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 3:05 PM kokoniimasu <kokoniimasu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Varnish already have a issue template, but sometimes I see people ignore it and post questions, etc. (they are closed right away)
>
> I saw a post on Twitter about the great categorization of issues in ImageMagick.
>
> https://twitter.com/yoya/status/1644160988600733696
>
> I thought this was very nice and made a sample to see if it could be done in Varnish as well.
> I think that by putting in a category, we can guide them to the right place.
>
> https://github.com/xcir/ghsandbox/issues
> (Feel free to create issues for testing.)
>
> When a new issue is made, the category will be displayed.
> Bug report required each information (Expected Behavior, Current Behavior...)
>
> Of course, I understand that it is also used as a TODO, so I also allow a free format description with "Don't see your issue here? Open a blank issue." at the bottom of the issue creation screen

If we can help it, I'd rather not have the blank issue link.

> A warning is also included here to prevent unintended use.
>
> https://github.com/xcir/ghsandbox/issues/new
>
> I am thinking of submitting a PR if this might be useful, what do you think?

YES PLEASE!

I have had this deep in my backlog for a long time now, and never got
around to fishing it out.

I didn't even know that issue templates could include external links.

> config is here.
> https://github.com/xcir/ghsandbox/tree/main/.github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE
>
> I'd be happy to be helpful.

Feel free to refresh the current template. Maybe we don't need as many
markdown comments as we currently have today with the categorization
you bring upfront.

Many thanks!
Dridi