"vtest" script for review/experimentation

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 14 12:39:29 CET 2016

--------
In message <CABoVN9CaM7RB3YVOpwmi7=6trZT=W-p4KTn9j9u0q_bnfyP4NA at mail.gmail.com>, Dridi Boukel
moune writes:

>As the official shell over-enthusiast I will review it.

Cool.

>First nitpick:
>
>> nice make distclean > /dev/null 2>&1 || true
>> nice /usr/bin/time sh autogen.des
>
>The first distclean is redundant, it is done by autogen.des already,
>unless you want to avoid timing the distclean too.

That was the point.

>I would replace `/usr/bin/time` by `command time` to pick the binary
>from the PATH, or `command time -v` if it's portable.

Right now I don't use the output of the time for anything, the idea
was to collect the timing info and include it in the report.

>I would log and create the report in $TMPDIR.

yeah, probably a good idea as well.

>In failedtests() you assume that all tests are VTCs but a distcheck
>will include C tests as well, although they fail less often.

I've been wondering if we should wrap the C tests in a VTC, for
sake of uniformity, but since I can not even remember when a C test
has failed last time, it has priority well down the list.

>Can you pretend to be root in a FreeBSD jail and have actual
>privileges limited to inside the jail?

That's basically what jails does...

My intent with this script is that it does not know or need to know
about its privileges (that's a 100% surefire way to punch holes
in your own code).

The idea is simply to run make distcheck and report the result.

What distcheck investigates, should not affect this script.