Varnish version 2 and beyond

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 17:15:41 CET 2006

For me SSL support is high on the list.

Other than that, it gets to be a question of what path you want to go:
More features, like URL rewrites, better virtual hosting, load
balancing, etc, etc, or keeping it simple.

I'd actually prefer the later. I'm used to having a very "layered"
approach to the hosting, with Apache first, then Squid (but now
Varnish) then Pound for load balancing and finally the actual
web-server.

This works fine, but I would like to put Varnish in the front so I can
have just one for multiple sites, which is why I's like SSL support.
That probably also would get rid of Apache completely in some cases,
but not all. And to get rid of the rest you would need to implement
Apaches URL rewrite and load balancing and probably a couple of more
things.

I'd probably prefer Varnish to just do caching, but do it really well. :)

//Lennart