Virtual hosts and logfiles -- some problems

Stephan Nedregaard stephan at ymogen.net
Thu Apr 19 18:10:31 CEST 2007

Hi!

I refer to DES' mail to the list 4th April, where he proposed using:

$ varnishlog -w /dev/stdout -c RxHeader '^Host: tinderbox.des.no' |
varnishncsa -r /dev/stdin

We've tried to get NCSA logs out of Varnish based on virtual hosts.
The method described doesn't work -- it does not sort by virtual
hosts as -o
isn't specified. However, -o and -w don't work together, so it's not
a matter of simply adding -o.

So far, what we've done is to output with -o and the RxHeader rule on
the server side and redirected the output to a file. We then want to
do the conversion on a separate server. However, varnishncsa doesn't
seem to work very welll with stored files on any server.  :(

varnishncsa -d -r raw.log -- with or without the -d outputs nothing.
Some times it segfaults. varnishlog has no problems reading the log
when passed the same parameters, although the output is clearly not
as intended (see below):

   11 RxHeader     c Accept-Language: en-gb
   11 RxHeader     c Accept
25455 (null)         ding: gzip, deflate
   11 RxHeader     c Connection: Keep-Alive
   11 VCL_call     c recv pass
   11 Backend
8291 ObjRequest      13 default
   11 RxProtocol   c
21584 (null)         /1.1
   11 RxStatus     c 200
   11 RxResponse   c OK
   11 RxHeader     c Date: Tue
14112 ObjRequest     Apr 2007 11:57:38 GMT
   11 RxHeader     c Server
28769 ObjRequest     che
   11 RxHeader     c Last-Modified: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:20:57
21514 (null)            11 RxHeader     c Content-Length: 166
   11 RxHeader     c Content-Type: i
25903 (null)         gif
   11 RxHeader     c X-Varnish: 1753174786
   11 RxHeader     c X-Forwarded-for: 194.75.128.200

The version of Varnish used is 1.0.3. This happens both with the
standard Gentoo package and a compiled version of the source tarball.

If anyone knows any way to reliably get log data per virtual host
into NCSA style logfiles, that would be appreciated.

Stephan Nedregaard,
Ymogen Ltd.