Articles regarding Varnish, VCL and ESI

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Wed Dec 17 22:09:34 CET 2008

Hi Jason,

[...snip...]
> "Making Catalyst Sites Shine with Varnish"  - includes an in-depth
> exploration of VCL
>
>       http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/14

This is a great introduction to VCL - I'm quite certain I'll be directing
newbies to it in the future for a gentle introduction.

> "Site Building Hotness with Edge Side Includes"  - which covers the
> benefits of using ESI and includes my JS based ESI parser that is
> useful for developing ESI sites when you aren't behind Varnish.
>
>      http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2008/17

I am especially excited about the JS ESI parser - the concept is an
excellent one and it directly addresses an otherwise difficult problem -
kudos to you, I'll be giving it a spin shortly.

This whole second article in particular is excellent and very timely for
me, as I have been thinking about using Varnish's ESI support for a new
project I am working on. Currently my strategy for low-overhead dynamic
pages revolves around just-in-time ajax. I am definitely inspired now to
give it a crack in ESI instead.

Thank you very much for this indeed.

regards,
Darryl Dixon