varnish on flash drives

C. Handel fragfutter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 23:22:33 CET 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 10:14 PM, Rob Tucker <rob.g.tucker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to run a reverse proxy on a machine with solid state drives. The
> hope is to get more queries served by utilizing high random I/O performance
> (the drive I have supports about 5K requests per second of average 4KB
> objects).
>  I'll have 16GB of RAM, 128GB of flash, and tons of CPU on the machine. The
> entire 128GB of cache will be active in general.

Flash Drives are bad for systems with a high io-load (Flash Drives
have poor write Performance and a limited count of write access).
Get more Ram. You should be able to fit 32GB of ram in any
Serversystem for a reasonable Price. To get a good harddisk IO
Performance, get hardware raidcontroller an stripe a lot of small fast
scsi-disks.

Greetings
   Christoph