Varnish Clustering

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Fri Oct 15 10:37:41 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Ruslan Sivak <russ at vshift.com> wrote:

> Is there any sort of clustering support in varnish?

Not in Varnish itself, no. You need some sort of clustering framework
around Varnish. Also, Varnish can act like a load balancer for it's
backend web servers, creating a logical cluster of servers behind it.

> The only thing I found was http://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/WebGui, Varnish
> Administration Console (only for customers with service agrement).  Is
> that still true?  Do you need a service agreement to use this?

The Varnish Administration Console (the VAC - we can't create anything
without giving it a three letter acronym :-) is focused mostly on
administration and monitoring of Varnish, not so much doing the actual
clustering. Features that will enhance the clustering capabilities
will be built into the VAC next year.

And yes. We have decided to keep that application proprietary - so you
would need a service agreement. Get in touch with me if you are
interested in giving it a try.

> Also it states on another page that this is not production ready yet.

It is now.

--
Per Buer,  Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / skype: per.buer