load-balancing

Andrei lagged at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 06:54:08 CET 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Jason Price <japrice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrei:
>
> Why do you care that the cache is synchronized between each remote DC?

Because that's the whole point of having a CDN, with High Availability.
There's no reason not to keep cache consistent across the board, and have
low latency per region regardless of requests from that particular region -
aka cache priming. For example, if the origin server in North America
receives a cacheable request from a client, that data is then instantly
made available to all regions. So when client2 from Europe requests the
same page, they get consistent data without the added 100ms+ latency spike
per origin fetch. This is just good common practice for optimizing large
traffic loads and keeping data consistent - imo. Afaik, Varnish Plus
actually offers something along these lines, for a good reason -
https://www.varnish-software.com/plus/varnish-high-availability/

> The simple way would be to do your any-cast'd IPs be your front end, and
> have them all talk to a centralized 'private' varnish which fronts the
> actual service.
>
> This would allow the individual servers to have a more relevant to their
> queries cache, and the centralized version would handle any duplication of
> requests from making it back to the true backend.

The anycast IPs are "in front" of the Varnish boxes. However, there is no
"centralized" Varnish to handle the requests as that wouldn't be optimal
for a CDN. The closest by comparison would be the origin server, in terms
of a "centralized version". Think of this setup as a decentralized mesh
which shares data among a set group of Varnish servers for High
Availability and low latency regardless of region.